Happy Thanksgiving! - November Legislative Highlights
I just wanted to reach out and wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. I have many things to be thankful for. One of which is the privilege of serving you as your state representative. It is truly an honor to serve. Thanks again for all your support. And Happy Thanksgiving to you, your family, and to those that you love.
November Interim Session
Our latest Interim Session was this last Wednesday, November 19. As you likely recall, Interim Session is where legislators come together, once a month, to discuss ideas and possible bills to be considered during the next Regular Session.
Items discussed by the Legislature during the November Interim Session included:
- A discussion regarding the Governor's Office of Economic Development, and an audit suggesting possible changes. News article here.
- Received a report from the Division of Child and Family Services on the implementation of HomeWorks, a structured decision-making program designed to strengthen parents’ ability to care for their children and reduce the need for foster care.
- A discussion as to whether Utah should authorize the use of a firing squad to carry out a death penalty execution if substances required for lethal injection are not available. Article here.
- Received a report from the Division of Child and Family Services on options for making it easier for youth in foster care to obtain a driver license and improving communications and visitations between siblings in foster care.
- Received a report regarding federal spending and its historical impact on Utah.
- Received a presentation about the process for state school board elections, the history of state school board elections, and options the Legislature may consider in responding to a recent court decision ruling the current selection method unconstitutional.
- Considered draft legislation which would establish and enforce campaign contribution limits.
- Full summary of items discussed can be found here.
- Rep. Hall's "District 33 School Tour"
I am in the process of doing this again! This last week I visited Hillsdale and Pioneer Elementary Schools. Thanks to Principal Wharton (Hillsdale) and Principal Rose (Pioneer) for letting me come by and visit. It was great to listen and learn more about their schools and their needs. Thanks to the dedicated faculty and staff of these two schools for their hard work.
I will be visiting each of the remaining schools sometime before the Session begins in January.
- Giving Away Free Turkeys for Thanksgiving!
- Regular Session begins January 26, 2015
Read all of my previous email newsletters here: http://bit.ly/YJCYy1
Thanks again for all your support. My contact information is as follows. Feel free to contact me regarding any issue.
Legislative email: email@example.com
Personal email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cell phone: (801) 573-1774